Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dawn at O'Hare

After an uneventful overnight in a desolate suburb near the airport (even some sleep, my last on a horizontal surface until Johannesburg, if all goes according to plan), I arrive back at O'Hare Airport in Chicago, ready for the long flights. Delta already improved things, by re-routing me from Chicago direct to Atlanta, instead of my original itinerary via Cincinnati. It means an extra hour at the airport in Chicago (I could've slept!), but less airplane time and one less opportunity to get misconnected.

This trip will be my first attempt to sleep during the long segments, using the "laptop power ports" for my CPAP while in a coach-class seat. If it works, I'll be a very happy camper. It worked great when I flew to Turkey last May, but that was in business class (thanks to my dear sister's love affair with American Airlines). This will be a longer flight with less leg, shoulder, and elbow room. But, if I really sleep, it should be easy. I always have trepidation before a flight like this. Then it happens, and then it's over, and then I'm somewhere wonderful.

Onward...

No comments: