Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Best restaurant so far

The group split up for dinner in the beach resort town of Wilderness.
My soon-to-be erstwhile roommate and I opted for Potjie (pronounced "poy-kee"),
named after the iron pot used by the early Boers that we'd recognize
as a "Dutch oven" (the kind you cook with, not what some of you might
be thinking of).

So, most of the 10 or so of us went into the nice little restaurant
section, done in sort of "fern bar" style, and started to ask about
wine by the glass, which dishes weren't too spicy, etc.

Chuck and I went into the adjacent pub. We had two pints each of a
good lager, brewed in nearby Knysna. The light cigarette smoke in the
pubmade the beer taste even better. Joe, the amiable Xhosa bartender,
brought us our potjies of lamb stew. We enjoyed them with the brown
bread baked on the premises, scratched the dog as we quaffed our
second lagers, and watched the local folk shoot pool, while 1970's
rock music played on the jukebox. After paying up at the bar, we
enjoyed a short walk, and came back to the bus, just in time to watch
our friends straggle out of the fern bar, complaining about "that
woman" who "took forever to bring us our [separate] checks."

Fortified with a quart of good fresh lager each, we congratulated
ourselves on having won the dinner competition.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hemant Saluja said...

I agree with you that you have a nice restaurant but according to me, it is not the best restaurant and you can make it best, by renovations.

===================================

neha trehan

Anonymous said...

Paul,
I hope all is well with you.
I see there is a cat even in the best restaurant. Have a good trip!
Best Regards,
Kaniz